The Mother of TOFARM, Dr. Milagros O. How is a fervent advocate for the advancement of Philippine Agriculture and giving recognition to the country’s heroes: the farmer.
She holds a bachelor’s degree in Biology from the University of the Philippines – Diliman. Due to her outstanding contributions in uplifting the lives of Filipino farmers, she was conferred a doctorate degree in Humanities, Honoris Causa, by the Angeles University Foundation in 2013. In her continuous pursuit for further knowledge in the field of agriculture, Dr. How is currently studying Agriculture, major in Soil Science at the University of the Philippines – Los Baños. Dr. How is currently the Executive Vice President of Universal Harvester(universalharvester.com), Incorporated, a leading manufacturer, distributor, and exporter of organic and inorganic fertilizer in the Philippines. As a business woman, she has had remarkable accomplishments in the chemical, fertilizer, shipping, food, and travel industries.
Dr. Milagros How has spearheaded various projects that have truly improved the lives of 7.8 million Filipino farmers. Some of these projects were the establishment of several training programs, agriculture scholarships, local and international study tours, advocacies, TOFARM Film Festival, Technology Advancements, farmer communities empowerment, research programs on crops fertilization method, the How Good Foundation.
Adding to these is being the founder of TOFARM, the Philippines’ most prestigious recognition system for The Outstanding Farmers of the Philippines; which also paved way to other award-giving bodies wherein the arts (photography, movie and music) celebrates Philippine agriculture – The TOFARM Photo and Infomercial Contest, TOFARM Film Festival and TOFARM Songwriting Competition.
The most recent recognitions given to Dr. How by numerous multinational and international award-giving bodies include:
- Doctor of Humanities, Honoris Causa, conferred by the Angeles University Foundation (AUF), May 2013
- “Woman Entrepreneur of the Year 2013”
- Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year Philippines, October 2013
- “Woman Starpreneur 2014”
- Philippine Center for Entrepreneurship (Go Negosyo), March 2014
- Asia Pacific Entrepreneurship Awards (APEA) 2014, Outstanding Category, November 2014
- Asia Responsible Entrepreneurship Awards (AREA) 2015, Social Empowerment Category, June 2015
- Special Award by the Philippine Regulatory Board of Chemical Engineering, Professional Regulation Commission (PRC) for her valuable contribution of eight (8) chemical manufacturing plants to the Industry, June2015
- 2016 Class of Ernst and Young Entrepreneurial Winning Women, Shanghai China
- Entrepreneur of the Year in the Agriculture Industry of the prestigious Asia Pacific Entrepreneurship Awards (APEA) 2016